P. Bhavana*, C. Madhavi Latha, K. Lavanyalahari, P. Naga shirisha, D. Madhava Teja, Sk. Masheeha baanu
Ratnam Institute of Pharmacy, Pidathapolur, Nellore, A.P, India
A b s t r a c t
Spina bifida is a common congenital abnormality, which cause significant physical and psychological morbidity in affected children and which also affects their career. This small-scale study looked at the health problem of a child with a myelomeningocoele, is also addresses the psychosocial problem that his mother, his main career faced and the social networks involved in his care. the evidence supporting various aspects of spina bifida prevention and management is explored. Furthermore, a literature review is included with regard to physical and psychological issues for child and career. this study aims to raise awareness of the problem faced by children with myelomeningocoele and their families. in particular we aim to educate health care professionals on the important of perceived stress by career of such children, and suggest ways to reduce psychosocial morbidity. Spina bifida is the most common congenital defect of the central nervous system which can portend lifelong disability to those afflicted. While the complete underpinnings of this disease are yet to be fully understood, there have been great advances in the genetic and molecular underpinnings of this disease. Moreover, the treatment for spina bifida has made great advancements, from surgical closure of the defect after birth to the now state-of-the-art intrauterine repair. This review will touch upon the genetics, embryology, and pathophysiology and conclude with a discussion on current therapy, as well as the first FDA-approved clinical trial utilizing stem cells as treatment for spina bifida.
Keywords: Myelomeningocele, neural tube defects, developmental diseases, embryology, spina bifida
- Canfield MA, Mai CT, Wang Y, O’Halloran A, Marengo LK, Olney RS, Borger CL, Rutkowski R, Fornoff J, Irwin N, Copeland G, Flood TJ, Meyer RE, Rickard R, Alverson CJ, Sweatlock J, Kirby RS., National Birth Defects Prevention Network. The association between race/ethnicity and major birth defects in the United States, 1999-2007. Am J Public Health. 2014 Sep, 1(2): 78-89.
- Trudell AS, Odibo AO. Diagnosis of spina bifida on ultrasound: always termination? Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol. 2014 Apr, 2(3): 98-100.
- Martínez-Lage JF, Moltó MA, Pagán JA. [Latex allergy in patients with spina bifida: prevention and treatment]. Neurocirugia (Astur). 2001, 3(4); 38-45
- Biggio JR, Owen J, Wenstrom KD, Oakes WJ. Can prenatal ultrasound findings predict ambulatory status in fetuses with open spina bifida? Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2001 Nov,5(6);55-60
- Appasamy M, Roberts D, Pilling D, Buxton N. Antenatal ultrasound and magnetic resonance imaging in localizing the level of lesion in spina bifida and correlation with postnatal outcome. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2006 May;27,2(3);65-69
- Levin-Decanini T, Houtrow A, Katz A. The Evolution of Spina Bifida Treatment through a Biomedical Ethics Lens. HEC Forum. 2017 Sep, 4(5): 78-80
- Tennant PW, Pearce MS, Bythell M, Rankin J. 20-year survival of children born with congenital anomalies: a population-based study. Lancet. 2010 Feb 20,3(4);66-69
- Houtrow AJ, Thom EA, Fletcher JM, Burrows PK, Adzick NS, Thomas NH, Brock JW, Cooper T, Lee H, Bilaniuk L, Glenn OA, Pruthi S, MacPherson C, Farmer DL, Johnson MP, Howell LJ, Gupta N, Walker WO. Prenatal Repair of Myelomeningocele and School-age Functional Outcomes. Pediatrics. 2020 ,3(4);45-48
- Binks JA, Barden WS, Burke TA, Young NL. What do we really know about the transition to adult-centered health care. A focus on cerebral palsy and spina bifida. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2007 Aug,4(5);67-70
- Khan F, Amatya B, Ng L, Galea M. Rehabilitation outcomes in persons with spina bifida: A randomised controlled trial. J Rehabil Med. 2015 Sep2(3);28-30
- Dicianno BE. 21st century challenges to the provision of health care to adults with spina bifida: a rehabilitation approach. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2014 Sep4(5);40-43
- Cohen AR, Robinson S: Myelomeningocele and Myelocytocele in Yeomans (ed), Neurological Surgery Philadelphia PA, 2012 pp 2507-2012.1(2);55-58
- Garceau GJ: The Filum Terminal Syndrome (the cord traction syndrome), J Bone and Joint Surgery Am, 711-716, 1953.2(3);60-63
- Hoffman HJ, Hendrick EB, Humphreys RP: The Tethered Spinal Cord: its Protean Manifestations, Diagnosis and Surgical Corrections. Childs Brain 2:145-155, 1976.4(5);34-36
- von Recklinghausen F : Untersuchungen uber die Spina Bifida. Arch Pathol Ana 105: 243-330, 373-255, 1886. 2(3);42-46
- Yamada S, Zinke DE, Sanders D: Pathophysiology of “tethered cord syndrome”. J Neurosurg 54: 494-503, 1981 3(4): 67-69.
- Lichtenstein BW. “Spinal dysraphism: ”Spina bifida and myelodysplasia. Arch Neurol Pyschiat 44: 792-810, 1940 2(1): 70-73.
- McClone DG, Herman Jm, Gabrieli AP, Dias L: Tethered Cord as a Cause of Scoliosis in Children with a Meningocele. Ped Neurosurg 16:8-13, 1990/1991.3(4): 58-62.
- Eubanks JD, Cheruvu, VK: Prevelance of sacral spina bifida occulta and its relationship to age, sex, race, and the sacral table angle: An Anatomic osteologic study of three thousand one hundred specimens. Spine, 2009, 2(3): 64-67.
- Conley A, Tye GW, Ward JD, Myseros JS: Occult Spinal Dysraphism and the Tethered spinal Cord in Benzel EC (ed): Spine Surgery: Techniques, complications avoidance, and management, third edition. Philadelphia PA, 2012, 4(5): 89-92.
- Guerra LA, Pike J, Milks J et al: Outcome in patients who underwent tethered cord release for occult spinal dysraphsim. The Journal of Urology. 176:1729-1732, 2006, 3(4): 32-37.
- Tredway TL, Musleh W, Christie SD, Khavkin Y, Fessler RG, Curry DJ. A novel minimally invasive technique for spinal cord untethering. Neurosurgery. 60; 2007 2(3): 52-55.
- Bassett RC. The neurologic deficit associated with lipomas of the cauda equine. Ann Surg 1950; 131: 109–16.
- Schmidt DM, Robinson B, Jones DA. The tethered spinal cord. Etiology and clinical manifestations. Orthop Rev 1990, 2(3): 58-64.
- Purnachandra reddy guntaka, Sriram N, Sarad Pawar Naik Bukke, Kiran Kumar Y , H. Parameshwar, Saravanan Jaganathan, Susmitha uppugalla. Formulation and Evaluation of Sustained Release Matrix Tablets of Glimipride Using Natural Polymers Tamarind Seed Mucilage and Guar Gum. Journal of Pharmaceutical Negative Results. 2022 Dec. 13: 5256-67. | Google Scholar | Abstract |
- A Sivaranjini, Maya Ramteke, PK Senthilkumar, Alla Narayana Rao, D Phaneendra Pavan, A Gnanasekaran, N Sriram, Susmitha uppugalla. Antimicrobial Properties of Morinda Reticulata Gamble Extracts Against Antibiotic-Resistant Pathogenic Bacteria And Toxin Producing Molds. Journal of Pharmaceutical Negative Results, 2023 Jan. 1: 6633-9. | Google Scholar | Abstract |
- Susmitha uppugalla , Chiranjib Bhattacharjee, Arunabha Mallik, N Sriram, G Sumithira, S Kameshwaran, S Sathya. Anticataleptic and Antiepileptic Activity of Ethanolic Extract of Leaves of Morinda Reticulate: A Study on Role of Dopaminergic System in Epilepsy in Albino Rats. Journal of Pharmaceutical Negative Results, 2022 Dec. 10: 4987-91. | Google Scholar | Abstract |
- Koteswara Rao, P., Vikram Babu, B., Rama Krishna, A., Sushma Reddi, M., Sathish Mohan, B., Anjani Devi, K., Susmitha, U., Raghava Rao. T, Green Synthesis of Silver Nanoparticles using Litsea glutinosa L. Leaves and Stem Extracts and their Antibacterial Efficacy, . Journal of Water and Environmental Nanotechnology, 2022, 7(4): 363-369. | Google Scholar | Abstract |
- Susmitha Uppugalla , Kavitha Rajesh , Amareswarapu V Surendra , Kiran Kumar Y , Mohammed Gayasuddin , Sriram N , Prasad P Nadedkar. Effect of Pisonia Alba Root Extract on Cafeteria Diet-Induced Obesity in Rats. Journal of Pharmaceutical Negative Results. 2022 Dec. 1 3732-9. | Google Scholar | Abstract |
- N Sriram, Susmitha Uppugalla , Kavitha Rajesh, S. Someshwara N , B Senthil Kumar, Prasad P Nadedkar, Shanta K Adiki. Cognitive Enhancing And Antioxidant Activity Of Ethyl Acetate Soluble Fraction of The Methanol Extract of Pisonia Alba Leaves In Scopolamine-Induced Amnesia. Journal of Pharmaceutical Negative Results. 2022 Dec. 1: 3740-9. | Google Scholar | Abstract |