About author :
Ramesh Naik*, Dr. Hindustan Abdul Ahad
B. Pharmacy, Balaji College of Pharmacy, Anantapur, AP, India
Dorsalgia is also known as Back pain. It is pain felt in the back that usually originates from the muscles, nerves, bones, joints or other structures in the spine. It may have a sudden onset and can be a chronic or acute. It can be constant or intermittent, stay in one place or radiate to other areas. The spine is a complex interconnecting network of nerves, joints, muscles, tendons and ligaments, and all are capable of producing pain. Large nerves that originate in the spine and go to the legs and arms can make pain radiate to the extremities.
Key Words: Back pain, joints, acute
1. Back pain can be divided as neck pain, upper back pain, lower back pain or tailbone pain.
2.By its duration: acute (less than 4 weeks), sub acute (4 – 12 weeks), chronic (greater than 12 weeks).
3. Severe back pain (such as pain that is bad enough to interrupt sleep) that occurs with other signs of severe illness (e.g. fever, unexplained weight loss) 4. may also indicate a serious underlying medical condition.
5. Back pain in individuals with medical conditions that put them at high risk for a spinal fracture, such as osteoporosis or multiple myeloma, also warrants prompt medical attention.
6. Back pain in individuals with a history of cancer (especially cancers known to spread to the spine like breast, lung and prostate cancer) should be evaluated to rule out met static disease of the spine.
7. A few studies suggest that psychosocial factors such as on-the-job stress and dysfunctional family relationships may correlate more closely with back pain than structural abnormalities revealed in x-rays and other medical imaging scans.
Home Remedies for Dorsalgia:
1. An effective home remedy for backache would comprise of a combination of wheat, Cuscus grass and coriander. Soak 60 grams wheat in water, overnight. The next morning, add 30 grams each of Cuscus grass and coriander to it. Add 250 ml milk. Put the mixture in a pan and boil it, until only 2/3rd of the quantity is left. Drink this concoction to get relief from backache.
2. Mix 1 tbsp glucose or honey in warm water and have it in the morning, on an empty stomach. It is a simple, yet effective way to get relief from backache.
3. Mint oil has been found effective in curing backache. Lightly massage your back using some mint oil. It will give relief from the pain.
4. Apply some heat to the back, using hot water bottle or infrared lamp. This would give instant relief from the pain.
5. Massaging with turpentine oil is another effective home remedy for backache.
6. An effective home remedy would be to apply potato, in the poultice form. Peel a potato and cut into cubes. Boil the cubes and mash them. After they cool down a bit, apply on the back and hold it there with a bandage, for an hour.
7. Take out the juice of one lemon and add some common salt to it. Intake this, twice a day.
8. Basil leaves can also cure a person suffering from backache. Take a cup of water and boil ten basil leaves in it. Let the water boil till only half the quantity is left. Cool down the water and add 1/4 tsp salt. Drink this decoction once a day.
9. For tea drinkers, an easy remedy would be to add 5 black pepper corns, 5 cloves and 1 gram dry ginger powder to the tea. Have such a tea twice every day.
10. Include foods that have rich Vitamin C content, such as citrus fruit, tomatoes blueberries and strawberries, in your diet.
11. Keep one warm and eat only hot items in case of a chronic back pain
12. Garlic should be included in diet on regular basis
13. Tulsi is the best medicine. Boil tulsi in water until the syrup is reduced to half of actual size and add salt after cooling.
14. Massage with eucalyptus and mustard oil is very favorable for severe back aches
15. Half a tea spoon of jaggery is very effective medicine that can be eaten with warm water after meals only
16. Cardamom with honey shows the best results at times of back ache.
17. Take a cloth or jute bag full of ice. Now start massaging with that back. It helps to reduce the inflammation in the back.
18. Sleeping on firm mattresses facing to the ceiling helps to have proper blood flow and thereby reducing the aches.
Get rid of Dorsalgia with the things surround to you